Friday, September 2, 2022

Creating a Sensory Wall for Children

In our classroom we have a discovery area where children are invited to explore materials that focus specifically on the senses. We enjoy including resources that support exploration of light and colour (e.g., light table, sensory jars). Many loose parts are also in this area (e.g., stones, shells). The materials are stored on a small wooden shelf so they are easily accessible for children.

The shelf floats in the middle of the room as an anchor for the space. The back was covered in blue felt. We wanted to maximize all areas of this space and because there are many children with sensory needs in the class we decided to turn the felt area into a sensory wall.

The first step was to measure the space and plan out how the materials would fit together. I found this easiest to do on a flat working space. This way I could piece the material together like a puzzle and ensure they were diverse and interesting to explore.

Once I was satisfied with the way it looked I attached each piece to the felt wall using hot glue. I know that over time as children explore the pieces may fall off, but I am hopeful that I will be able to quickly and easily reattach them. I love how the sensory wall is low enough for all children to access. They will be able to sit and explore, or touch it while they walk by. The materials also match the colour scheme and decor in this calming space and do not stand out.

I found myself enjoying the materials and know that the children will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...