Sunday, August 30, 2026

Simple Sensory Walls

“A classroom isn't just four walls. From every corner to the full classroom setup, decoration shapes how children feel, think, and imagine every day.” 

Early Learning Consensus

In our classroom I consider the potential of every learning space. This is why the aged back of a shelf that is located by the door especially interested me. I wanted a refresh that not only added to the aesthetic of our area, but provided another learning opportunity for the children.   

 

Although the pegboard offers potential as it can be utilized to attach different toys and tools (e.g., hanging invitations, organizing systems, easel) the depth of the shelf had made this difficult upon attempt. I also could not remove the stains and painting it wasn't of interest to me. Many of the learners in our space enjoy sensory invitations so I decided to use this to inspire my work.

I measured the area of the shelf and mapped out the space on the floor nearby. This way I could begin arranging materials in an easy and efficient way. I looked for different colours, shapes and textures using objects from around the classroom, my house and the local dollar store. Hot glue was strong enough for the items I included. 

 

The finished product was so pretty and incredibly well used by children. Over time I did have to touch up the space and reattach the more popular objects. 

 
See the entire process here!

This school year I was looking to change up the shelf so I thought a hanging fabric invitation might be of interest to children. I still wanted to offer a variety of colours and textures but hoped to specifically focus on the rainbow. I have noticed that young children are fascinated by rainbows. Also, as a sign of welcoming and inclusion, I liked the idea of one being located right by our door. I searched the local thrift store for fabric scraps and ribbon. My helper definitely approved!

I cut the fabric into strips, doubled it and tied it onto an upcycled long broom handle I had around the house. 

                                 

Using the pegboard holes, I wove thin wire through the back of the shelf and twist tied the pole into place. The wire is strong enough to allow children to touch and move the fabric as they explore this new sensory space. 

 
See the entire process here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...