Saturday, September 9, 2017

Printable Activities to Support Open-Ended Mathematics

I continue to be inspired by the rich math learning I have been offered in my recent professional development. Research shows that early math experiences are key to a child's future math success - both in their confidence and math abilities. We know that having a strong partnership between home and school can enhance this mathematical mindset in the early years.

This year I will be pleased to continue to send home math 'take home bags' to our children, beginning towards the end of September. Each of these bags is numbered. On Fridays your child will bring a new math bag home to explore with you. In each bag are activities that are designed to refine math concepts from the Ontario Kindergarten Curriculum, with a special emphasis on number sense and numeration, specifically subitizing and composing/decomposing numbers. Please send the bag back to school by the following Wednesday so that we can send a new bag home with your child.


Inside each bag will be an instruction card and any applicable materials you will need to play the game together.


I am excited to see how the children's math mindset and abilities are influenced by these activities. We will continue to focus on math rich tasks at school as well. Any feedback regarding these bags is greatly appreciated.

If you would like a sneak peek at some of the activities, or are a fellow educator interested in printing a set of these activities for use in your classroom, please click this link: Family Math Bags

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful! I'm in my first LTO and have been stressing out thinking of ways I can develop and integrate some meaningful math play into my mathematics block- this is perfect and I love the idea of being able to send home copies with students each week to further reinforce their developing skills! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...