Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stained Glass Patterning

I have become a huge fan of attaching clear contact paper to our back windows in order to encourage creative building. We have used our translucent coloured pattern blocks on the light table and I wondered what my son would do if I encouraged him to use them on the back door.

He was immediately drawn to the experience and began to build, fitting the pieces together and commenting on how they appeared to 'glow' as a result of the sunlight filtering through them.


I was amazed at his ability to fit them together as if they were a puzzle.


With my assistance, we created some simple patterns within the larger design - it was a great opportunity for me to discuss the shapes, colours, and sizes of the pieces.


The coloured pattern blocks resembled beautiful stained glass. It was just as much a piece of modern artwork on our back door as it was an exercise in puzzling.


The best surprise of all however was when the mid-afternoon sun illuminated the artwork, sending colours dancing all over the floor as well. Caleb loved to step in and out of the colours, inspiring another dimension to our conversation about sunlight and coloured pattern blocks!


What a fun way to replicate, extend, and explore patterns!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. Lots to be inspired by! Where did you find the shapes for the window?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The blog is so much fun to do and I find it inspired much play in our household! We purchased the shapes on Amazon - they are clear pattern block pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...